Looking for the best WordPress font plugins to change the default fonts?
Having custom fonts is a great way to enhance typography of a website which will have a positive impact on UX and can also improve conversion.
In this article, I’ll walk you through the top 20 best WordPress font and custom typography plugins for 2019 to customize the typography of your website.
Why Fonts Matters And What Are Benefits of a Good Typography?
WordPress is great to use, right off the box. What’s even better is WP allows further customization to improve the design and user experience to name a few.
While most premium WordPress themes come with inbuilt option to change the font, add google fonts, change the spacing between texts etc, you might still need to take help of plugins to add more functionality like adding drop caps or pull quotes.
Here are the benefits of changing to custom fonts and enhancing typography:
Customizing your fonts is really what you should be doing because it can boost your site’s readability and conversions. Here are some reasons why should consider changing fonts:
- Fonts enhances reader experience: When you change the font to something fancy it might look good but the users will not be able to read that text for long. Consider the below image to say what you’d choose:
Fonts adds credibility: Research shows that fonts can dramatically increase the credibility of what you write. For example, Baskerville is the font that increases the credibility of what you got to say as compared to fonts like modern, helvetica, georgia etc. (Source).
Reduced Bounce rate & time spent on site: Larger fonts with better line spacing can boost your time spent on site and also lower the bounce rate. John Paul found that increasing his font size from 11px and having better line spacing improved his bounce rate by 30%..
Web font and typography can be very essential elements of how your visitors see your site.
Ready to start customizing your fonts and WordPress typography?
Top 10 Best WordPress Custom Font Plugins In 2019
1 Use Any Font
Use any font is a simple WordPress plugin for custom font setting. This plugin requires no coding skills to change the font of your website/blog and is free to use. Any average user can easily change WordPress blog font using this WordPress font plugin.
The plugin let’s you use any font as long as you have its font format (ttf, otf, woff) without having to depend on other server’s uptime. Use Any Font is free for single site font editing, however, you have to donate a minimum of $10 to use the API on unlimited sites.
Key features of Use Any Font plugin:
- Support for all major browsers.Use uploaded font from Editor itself.
- Support forum to help you with any problem.
- Supports font file up to 15 MB.Load time is faster because your custom fonts are hosted on your server.
- You can upload multiple fonts for your website.
- You can assign fonts to any element of your website like headers, paragraphs etc
2 Thrive Architect: Best WordPress Custom Font Plugin (& Content Builder) 2019
Let’s just agree, plain text just fails to hold user attention and they hardly make it to the end of the article.
You have to work hard to make your hard-work (content) stand out and convert they way you want it to.
When we are talking about plugins that improve our typography and readability it would be incomplete without the mention of Thrive Architect.
Thrive architect isn’t just a WordPress typography or font plugin, it is a content builder. You can use the drag & drop builder to seamlessly create content boxes, pricing tables, beautiful CTA button designs, responsive tables on WordPress and even complete landing pages (with it’s own landing page templates).
Here’s a detailed review of Thrive Architect that describes the full potential of he plugin and how it can help you.
Key features of Thrive Architect:
- Thrive Content Builder helps you create engaging content with elements your readers can interact with. It helps you to stand out in the crowd.
- Add special text elements and custom fonts, list post styling etc.
- You can add responsive tables, videos, call-to-action buttons that convert, custom boxes (like this very one), add pricing tables, count down timers to increase sales to name a few.
- It helps you create stunning landing pages from scratch plus with 152+ readymade templates.
- Create long articles with ease like this very post.
- Best WordPress plugin for custom font uploads.
- Add animations to your content boxes. Noticed how this box had an animation? Cool, right?
- These are just a few, the only limit is your imagination.
3 Easy Google Fonts: Best Google fonts for WordPress Plugin in 2019
As the name suggests, easy Google fonts help you to integrate google fonts on your website. It allows you to choose from over 600+ Google fonts to add on your website without having to code.
The Easy Google Font plugin adds a typography tab on your customize section so that you can preview font changes live on the front-end of your blog.
Key features of Easy Google Fonts:
- Cross browser and backward browser compatible.
- Allows you to add google fonts to your theme without editing the theme’s main stylesheet. This secures your font against any theme updates.
- Automatically enqueues all stylesheets for your chosen google fonts.
- Allows you to create unlimited custom font controls.
- Updates the fonts automatically once old version is detected.
4 WP Google Fonts
Wondering how to add/change Google fonts to your WordPress websites?
WP Google fonts is the best WordPress font changer plugin that helps you add Google fonts to your site without having to code a single line. You can also assign Google fonts to specific CSS elements of your website with this plugin.
Key features of WP Google Fonts plugin:
- Possible to apply different fonts on different elements.
- Easy to use.
- Adds new fonts released under the Google fonts banner.
5 Font: For easy font setup in WordPress
Font is the official plugin for fontsfontweb.com and is makes it ridiculously easy to change the fonts of your theme and even the post.
It allows you to change the font of any aspect of your theme just like other custom WP fonts plugins mentioned above. In addition to that, it also helps you change the font of a custom paragraph, sentence or even a letter of your article from inside the font editor.
Here are two ways to setup custom fonts on your WordPress sites:
Method 1: (How to change WordPress fonts from the front-end):
- Select an element when being logged in as admin go to your home page, or any other page.
- Click on element you want and name it.
- Click on “font settings” from the top bar and then on “Pick an element from the page”.
- Change color, size and font face from over 1000 available or upload your own fonts.
- Save your custom fonts settings.
Method 2: (How to change font of specific part of article/post from within the WP editor):
- Go to the post editing page where you edit your posts and pages and select the section for which you want to add custom fonts.
- Click on “font settings” from the top bar.
- Select any portion of text. Can be a paragraph, one word or even a single letter.
- Change color, size and font face from over 1000 available or upload your own fonts.
- Update your post.
Key features of Font plugin:
- Easy to use and switch between themes.
- Allows you to change the font of a specific section of your article from within the visual editor of WordPress dashboard.
6 Typekit Fonts For WordPress (To Add Typekit Fonts Easily)
Like Google fonts, Typekit also has a huge number of beautiful fonts that you can add to your website.
Typekit has a very limited free usage unless you are a subscriber of the Adobe Creative Cloud. So, you might have to buy a subscription from Adobe Typekit to use their fonts with full features.
In any case, Typekit for WordPress plugin makes it easy to add/edit and switch Typekit fonts to your website like a breeze.
Key features of Typekit Fonts For WordPress:
- Quick and easy way to enable Typekit fonts on your site.
- Ability to add your own CSS rules to further customize fonts like font weight etc.
- Doesn’t interfere with your theme’s stylesheet which makes your changes update-proof.
7 Google Font Manager: Best Font Organizer Plugin
Google font manager is another lightweight custom WordPress Google font plugin that makes it easy to add, manage and customize Google fonts on your WordPress site. Google font manager allows you to add as many Google fonts as you wish.
The plugin interface is super clean and has a good UI. You can turn it on or off as per your needs.
Key features of Google font manager plugin:
- Full integration with Google Fonts API.
- Automatically adds fonts to Visual Editor (tinyMCE).
- It is AJAX-powered, no screen refreshes!
- Resources can be set to only load in WP Admin when needed.
- The plugin is multisite compatible with a single api key.
- Has options to add “web safe fonts” to visual editor
8 Google Webfonts For Woo Framework
If you own an ecommerce webshop (using wooframework) on WordPress, you might know how sometimes the product fonts don’t match the theme or your branding.
So, if you want to customize the fonts of your product title and description on your wooframework themes or change the fonts to match the theme styling then this plugin is your thing.
Google webfonts for Woo Framework plugin is a lightweight font editing plugin that reduces your load times by only uploading fontweights that you use and not all unlike other plugins.
Key features of Google Webfonts For Woo Framework:
- Light-weight fonts and typography plugin.
- Ability to add international subsets.
9 Remove Google Font References Plugin
Looking for a WordPress plugin to remove all references of Google fonts on your website?
We’ve got you covered.
While all WP font plugins listed as of now in our WordPress typography plugins section help you set up fonts, Remove Google Font References plugin actually helps you remove Google fonts from your theme/site.
With no settings, no options to customize, this plugin does just what it says. It removes every trace of Google fonts from your website like the default Open Sans that WordPress uses.
If you’re wondering why to disable Google fonts from your website, the reasons can vary like privacy, security, blocking of Google servers, hiding a site by disabling footprints due to theme’s font usage etc.
Another plugin that helps to disable Google fonts from WordPress sites is Disable Google Fonts.
Key features of Remove Google Font References plugin:
- Protects sites from Google tracking via fonts
- Discourages Google from claiming rights to use your name or blog content for their business purposes by removing any instance of their font usage in the WP site.
10 TinyMCE Advanced editor
TinyMCE Advanced editor is a super handy visual editor that enhances the default WordPress editing dashboard with various options like changing font sizes, adding underline and justified text alignment options, background color etc.
It allows you to configure which buttons you want to be displayed on the visual editor because with the recent updates WordPress has eliminated many buttons like justify text alignment button or the background color button.
Key features of TinyMCE Advanced editor:
- Gives you the ability to add/remove or change visual editor toolbar buttons of WordPress Dashboard.
- Plugin helps you get back background color option, justify text alignment option etc to the WP dashboard.
- Ability to add tables, reduce font size, adjust/change fonts directly while editing a WordPress post.
11 Crayon Syntax Highlighter
This syntax highlighter plugin might not be for regular WordPress bloggers but is very handy for bloggers who write a lot of codes/syntax on their articles.
Crayon Syntax Highlighter is made with PHP & jQuery and supports both visual and HTML editor modes.
Key Features of Crayon Syntax Highlighter:
- Ability to highlight codes, any text or a single URL to make them stand out and easily recognizable.
- Live preview mode.
- Supports mouse event interaction (showing plain code on double click and toolbar on mouse hover).
WordPress Plugins To Improve The Typography And Enhance Readability
With enough said about the WordPress custom fonts plugins, let’s now dive into the section where we discuss some of the best WordPress typography plugins that will add a wow-factor to our content.
These plugins don’t necessarily change your fonts but add various elements to the text area like drop caps or cool messages on mouse hover to enhance readability.
Custom typography plugins can do a lot to boost user engagement on your site. Here are a few of the best wp typography plugins.
12 Thrive Architect
One of the key plugins and obviously the jack of all trades and also “master” of everything is Thrive Architect plugin. I have written elaborately about Thrive Architect above (click here to jump to that section)
13 Zeno Font Resizer: Best WordPress Font Size Plugin
Often sites have a fixed font size that is either 14px, 12px or 16px. This is normal font size setting for reading but it may not be the case for everyone. There are readers who suffer from short-sightedness and so having a smaller font might irritate their eye.
But, we also have to agree that there can be no one granted text font size for everyone so it is better to add an option that lets users select their own font size.
This is where Zeno font Resizer comes into the scene. This plugin lets users change the text size of your posts.
Key features of Zeno Font Resizer:
- Stores a cookie in the browser of the visitor which lets it render same font size whenever the visitor revisits your site.
14 BONUS: Add Click To Tweet sections
One simple way to increase social shares while adding elements to boost readability is click to tweet buttons.
Users can interact on your site, share ready-made tweetable quotes or text sections from your site and this in turn will bring tons of extra social media traffic.
Key features of Social Warfare plugin:
- Very light-weight and clean coded.
- Adds link shortening, button-click tracking and analytics reporting.
- Adds beautiful click-to-tweet boxes improving user engagement on long articles plus improving social shares.
- Price: $29/year
Concluding: Best WordPress Custom Fonts Plugins (2019)
With the massive list of WordPress font plugins above, you can easily change, modify, increase and decrease the size of your WP site’s font. All of these font changer plugins are easy to use and doesn’t require a bit of coding skills.
With the above list of free WordPress font changer plugins you can add all types of fonts, may it be Google fonts, Adobe Typekit font or any other popular web font.
My Recommedation: If you just want to change the font of your WordPress themes, you can use any of the above plugin. However, if you want more control over how your content looks and want to add elements that can make your article stand out you should definitely check out the Thrive Architect.
With a one-time investment of $67 you give your blog a brand new feel without touching a single line of code.
If you have any queries, or want to list your favorite plugin here, kindly give a shout out in the comments section. Feel free to share this post with your friends 😉